Saturday, March 8, 2008

What I'm Reading

I am woefully ignorant for a contemporary poet about the history of 20th century poetry. Part of that has to do with my graduate school, which focused on the New Critics and the Southern Agrarians when it focused on the 20th century at all, and I was far more interested in Dante in translation and 17th and 18th century French poets than in the moderns. I read my Eliot and Pound and Wallace Stevens, some Stein and H.D. and then forward to Merrill and overseas to Heaney, Wolcott, that sort of stuff. While at Stanford, I got into some Niedecker and Oppen, but not in any real depth. So this book is a real education for me, and it has the added attraction of being a pleasant read.

Get it. Read it.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At March 10, 2008 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Mark Scroggins said...

"better than a foot massage" -- now *that's* what I want to read in a review... but I'm more than happy with "a pleasant read." Pleasant reading!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home